5 things to do if you become allergic to your Black Henna tattoo

When I had my henna tattoo on holiday, I had no idea there was a difference between black henna and real henna.

But when I became allergic to the Black Henna, the doctor said that there was no way I would have had the same reaction had it been real henna (obviously some people can be allergic to anything but it is less likely from a natural substance).

Black Henna contains chemicals (PPD’s) to enhance the black pigment in the tattoo so that it is a darker black (like a real tattoo) and the paste can contain illegal amounts within the dye. PPDs can cause serious allergic reactions including anaphylaxis shock.

Please, please ensure that you do not go for black henna (or have a skin patch test first) but the real henna, see this link to the NHS website about the dangers and how to tell the difference between the two hennas.

5 things to do if you have had an allergic reaction to Black Henna

  1.   If to hand, take an antihistamine tablet or medicine
  2. Go straight away to the doctors or to A&E, it will only get worse if you don’t get it treated.
  3. Do not put water on the affected area – Water will only make the dye penetrate the skin further
  4. Do not put anything on the skin until the doctor has seen you, this will irritate the skin further
  5. Make sure you go to a Doctors or A&E straight away and inform them that it is an allergic reaction (yes I know 5 is the same as 2 but it is very important to get seen.)

#AvoidBlackHenna

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s